The Best Beard Styles for your Face Shape
Now that you know your face shape, it’s time to dress it up!
The golden rule for the perfect beard shape is that your beard and jaw should work together to achieve a nicely graduated, oval shape. For example, if you have a square or rounded jaw, you will want to grow your beard fuller on the bottom to elongate or stretch your face. If you have an oblong or rectangular face, you will want to grow more hair on the sides while avoiding length beneath the chin.
Remember this is only a guide and meant to aid your grooming journey. Embrace your individuality, play with different beard styles and break the rules - so long as you find the perfect beard style for your face!
- Oval face shape: Known as the middle ground between other face shapes, most beard styles will work well with an oval face shape as they tend to have a wider chin and forehead. Recommendations include a goatee with a little hair on the bottom of the chin, keeping it shorter on the sides.
- Oblong face shape: Similar to the oval face shape but little longer and narrower, oblong is the most elongated face shape which means you should draw attention to the sides of the face such as with mutton chops.
- Round face shape: Avoid a big, bushy beard as round faces lack angles. It's all about contrast so keep the sides short and tapered and grow out your chin hair.
- Square face shape: This face shape has exceptionally angular features including a prominent chin, broader forehead and strong jawline. For it, keep chin hair longer and fuller and shorter to no hair on the sides. A goatee and mustache combo is solid while a fuller beard may not work as well.
- Rectangle face shape: A mix of square and oblong, the rectangular face shape appears longer and less wide than the others. Look to rock a full beard or extended goatee with the sides of the beard longer and bottom shorter.
- Triangle face shape: Triangle face shapes have slimmer foreheads and a wider, squarer jaw and chin. The hairline has a lot to do with this face shape, as those with a curving hairline that comes to a point often have more triangular features. The best beard styles for this face shape are a goatee or a chin strap and mustache.
- Diamond face shape: Those with a diamond face shape tend to have high cheekbones, a pointed chin, and a narrow hairline at the top, creating the illusion of a diamond. Men with this face shape can rock almost anything from a full beard to a goatee or the chinstrap and mustache.
- Heart face shape: Blending softness with angularity, the heart face shape is marked by a larger, wider forehead that angles into a pointed chin. Because of this narrow chin, facial hair will balance your face. Go natural and softer, don’t do goatees or soul patches.